Put-In-Bay Winery, located in Put-in-Bay, Ohio between Sandusky and Toledo just north of Port Clinton, opened its doors for visitors on South Bass Island in May 2009. Visitors from nearby Midwestern states, southern Ontario Canada, and around the world come to visit our winery exhibit. Once you get off the ferry, hop in a taxi and tell your drive you are headed to the Put-in-Bay Winery!
The winery exhibit, which follows the grape fruit from the moment the seed enters the ground, through its journey to the bottle, completes itself in a spectacular wine tasting room and gift shop with lots of goodies for purchase. Visitors can sample local island wines and varietals grown around the region, finding delicious new choices and new favorites. Enjoy a glass of wine while relaxing in our wine garden or on the front porch of the Doller House Estate with its wonderful view of the Put-In-Bay harbor.
We value educating, expanding and challenging our customer’s palates for every occasion and circumstance. Whether you come by yourself, with your wife or husband, a gaggle of bachelorettes, or even a large group, we enjoy educating our customers to understand the dynamics of wine, thus new tastes are acquired daily. The fun in-house experience is perfect for a convenient getaway from the upbeat island entertainment at anytime of the day. From sun up to sun down, the Put-In-Bay winery is here to serve you with first class service. We also have cornhole boards!
Tours and Tastings
Situated on the harbor, directly across from tiny Gibraltar Island, sits the majestic Winery residence, the Doller House. It was home to one of Put-In-Bay’s wealthiest and most influential citizens, Valentine Doller.
Tour the Doller House and Island Life Museum to learn about island life, past and present. Displays include the last remaining island icehouse and the 100 year evolution of winter travel across the ice. Also view an ice boat!
- Create a flight of three or four of our Put-In-Bay Wines or select from the Pelee Island Wines, West Coast or Featured Wines that we offer to create the ultimate entertainment tasting experience for any palate.
- The Wine Tasting Tour is every hour from 12:00am-4:00pm
- The tour begins with a taste of the Put-In-Bay Winery’s Celebration, a sparkling Moscato
- In the Parlor of the Main House we have a tasting of the Put-In-Bay Winery Merlot.
- The Historic Ice House explains the importance of Valentine Doller’s ice business as visitors enjoy a tasting of the Put-In-Bay Riesling.
- The evolution of travel across the frozen lake is described as visitors begin to appreciate the history of island life and its development over time.
- The Put-In-Bay Pink Catawba is enjoyed while following the grape from harvesting to bottling.
- Visitors enjoy the Put-In-Bay Concord in the Lower Tasting Room.
- The tour concludes in the Put-In-Bay Winery Gift Shop and Main Tasting Room where they have the option to try our other wines.
Catering and Parties
The historic Victorian Doller Mansion is available for special catered and social events. The large front yard faces lakeside and offers a panoramic view for parties up to 400 people that you will never forget. The picturesque gazebo located in the backyard is ideal for large events. The large backyard opens up for dancing and socializing during receptions, company picnics/outings, and family reunions.
Planning something smaller? Have an intimate birthday, cocktail or dinner party inside this historic home for as few as 15 guests or as large as 60 guests. Smaller luncheon events are catered in the house and can be scheduled by calling the Put-In-Bay Winery at (419) 285-3343.